Of all the major cities I’ve visited in Europe so far, Prague became my favorite in a matter of just a day or two. I could list several more, but here are 5 things that quickly made me fall in love with this city.
1. Sightseeing – Prague is probably not the first city that comes to mind when you think about historical sites, impressive medieval buildings, and panoramic views, but after you visit Prague, it will be up on the list with London and Paris, in all of these categories. One visit to Prague Castle and St. Vitus’ Cathedral, and you will see what I mean.
2. Efficient and Easy Transportation – Prague is an incredibly manageable city. No matter where you are in the city, there will always be a bus, tram, or metro stop nearby. Grab a map of the routes to take on the go and there is no way you can get lost. Compared to the other major cities in Europe I’ve visited, Prague offers far more transportation options, and the metro stations are very clean. It also makes for a great hub if you’re planning to travel to other European cities, as it is located right in the center of the continent.
3. Safety – In most cities, it is a good idea to pay attention to which parts you go to, especially at night. Though it’s always a good idea to exercise caution (not walking alone at night, etc.), very little violent crime takes place in Prague. According to natives, the worst danger you will encounter in Prague is pickpocketing. Do keep an eye on your belongings, but if you don’t want to worry about your safety while abroad, Prague is definitely a great place to be.
4. City Life – There is always something to enjoy about Prague whether day or night. No matter where you are in Prague, there are bound to be several good restaurants and pubs nearby. In the more touristy areas of the city, there are an abundance of ice cream shops as well which I love to frequent. For shoppers, there are at least a few malls and countless souvenir shops around the city center. It is always very relaxing to take a stroll around Prague’s numerous parks as well. There is something here for everyone and every mood.
5. Prices – For study abroad students on a budget, there is probably no better place in Europe to be than Prague. For example, I had a very tasty and filling dinner this evening for what amounted to about four US dollars, and groceries have actually not been a huge expense because they are so cheap.
Whether studying abroad or just planning a visit, you won’t regret coming to Prague. I think you will find just as many things to love about it as I have.
The world awaits…discover it.